This week marked a few firsts in my life….
It started with a relaxing “vacation” (or as close to we’ll be getting to one this summer) in Sea Isle city….my first trip to the South Jersey beach town. And for the first time…and very much to my pleasant surprise, there was very little fist pumping, hair product…and no sign of “Snookie”. I was relieved to learn that the stereotypical Jersey Shore character, and their lookalikes, seem to stay north of Atlantic City. And although it felt odd to be outnumbered by Phillies fans while still in NJ….I enjoyed the seemingly laid-back day on the beach, and a 12 miler up and down the Sea Isle promenade on Sunday. It was actually kind of fun to say…”yeah, I’m just gonna go ahead and run to Ocean City”….felt a little like Forest Gump.
After vacation (also known as “the weekend”) ended, it was back to the grind, but there were a few fun firsts to look forward to coming up later in the week…mainly, the “I Pink I Can” event this past Friday that I referenced in last week’s blog. And before I knew it, the week was flying by, with plenty of work and a decent week of training, highlighted by the following track workout (in 96 degree heat!)…..I can’t wait for my NJNY Track Club friends Julie & Frances are back in town to kick my butt!
- Warm-up .5 miles
- then 2 mi @ goal pace (6:30 / mile) with 3 min. recovery after
- 2x 1 mi @ 10k pace (6:20 / mile) with 2 min. recovery after each mile
- 2x 800 at 5k pace (6:00-6:15 / mile) with 2 min recovery after each 800.
- Cool down x .5 miles
- Stretch x 10 min!
It wasn’t my first charity style running event…but it was another example of what I believe being Fit 2 Be (a) Live is about….this one was a lesson in using one’s fitness for a higher purpose…a way to pay your energy forward, literally one step at a time….and hopefully away to inspire a few to do the same. I was honored to be a part, and thanks to all those who supported!
…..side notes….few other firsts from this past week:
- first time shopping for a brand new car of our own (have always purchased used / pre-owned in the past)
- first time purchasing cycling equipment (shoes, pedals to use on a loaner bike from my brother, helmet, and spandex shorts with a enough built in padding to keep “things” protected)
- first time doing a “brick” style workout (45 minute bike, followed by 7 mile tempo run)
- first time falling off a bike….twice….within 30 seconds of one another(don’t worry, I wasn’t even moving….it’s those damn clip-in shoes)…the neighbors must have gotten a laugh out of that 🙂
- first time signing up for a twitter account…follow me if interested in further ramblings by clicking HERE
Nick on leg 2, hour 2
Phil and I finishing things off….9.5 hours straight!